Toasted Flaked Cereals
We at Charles R. Wynne ltd pride ourselves on quality manufacturing of animal feeds for the ruminant sector. This is typified by our continual investment in our Toasting and Flaking facility over the last 40 years. All of our cereals, purchased locally, are now processed in-house by this modern facility.
So what is involved in the Toasting Process:
- * Locally sourced native grain is first screened and cleaned prior to entry to the processing facility
- * Cereals are then wetted to achieve the desired moisture of approximately 16/17%.
- * At this point grain is then rolled to achieve a flat, uniform cracking of the cereal.
- * The cereals are then cooked in pressure cookers at very high temperatures to achieve a moisture level of approximately 13.5%.
- * Within the cooking process starch molecules are altered to increase their digestibility.
What ingredients we process in our Toasting Plant:
- 1. Barley
- 2. Wheat
- 3. Maize
- 4. Oat’s
- 5. Bean’s
- 6. Pea’s
- 7. Full Fat Soya
Why should I use Toasted Flaked in my ruminant diet?
The toasting process greatly increases the gelatinisation of starch molecules in cereals
This gives us:
- * increased available energy
- * improved digestibility
- * greater starch energy efficiency
Other benefits include:
- * Lower moisture content after the toasting process
- * Higher dry matter content, gives more value for money
- * Screening, cleaning and de-stoning of grain prior to processing removes all trash and small grains.
- * Decreased risk of acidosis due to consistency of rolling and processing.
- * Improved colour, texture and aesthetics of cereals in both straight and mixed ration form.
Ultimately the Toasting and Flaking process of cereals and proteins leads to increased Daily Live weight Gain in beef cattle/sheep and higher milk yields in your dairy cows.